Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wont someone please think of the children?

What's the first thing you quick, intelligent people think of when you walk into a Chili's? If you said, it's "Hey, this place looks like a bar," you'd be correct. Or so State Senate President (elect) Michael Waddoups thinks. Apparently, he is so disconcerted at having to stand the sight of the bar area where drinks are mixed and alcohol is stored, he thinks everyone else in the state must be too.
He seems to think that if children can see the bar area they will suddenly be overcome with the urge to sneak away from their table, reach over the 18 inch barrier and slyly swipe the mixed drink they assume to be there, since we know all ten-year-old's are constantly hard up for a drink. I remember the first time I saw an alcoholic beverage mixed in my peripheral vision, a sexy little number known as a Cosmopolitan. I couldn't have been more than twelve, and that alluring ruby color of the cranberry juice shaken with vodka and triple-sec mesmerized me, and the lime garnish on the rim totally hooked me. From that day on, I knew I was destined to become a raging alcoholic.
Seriously, I know most of us are smarter than that, at least those of us that aren't his constituents. What he is proposing is the forced remodeling of every restaurant with a bar/mixing area that can be seen, to the tune of about $100 k a restaurant. Not only is this completely unfair and absolutely ludicrous, I see it as a veiled attempt to set up another hurdle to the acquisition of liquor licenses and another reason to yank them with as little cause as possible.
I'm getting tired of these Mormon repub's trying to force their views on the entire populace by legislating from the pulpit. I don't care if 50% of the population is LDS, 30% aren't even active, and the rest of the state have to sway to the whims of a bunch of rich, white, conservative, Mormon men, with little recourse. Most of the time, us heathens just roll our eyes when we hear the next fantastic idea from one of our voter-appointed asshats, which almost invariably gets shot down, but I'm starting to get pushed to the edge. Even local conservative radio personality Doug Wright sounded bewildered this morning at the comments from Waddoups. He hoped that this was merely a laboriously back-handed attempt at stimulating the construction industry in Utah instead of the fearful, intolerant, illogical ranting that it seemed to be. My words, not his.
He already has a long list of votes or lack thereof on issues that even fellow conservatives disagree with him on. Knowing the general political atmosphere in Utah, I'm not particularly surprised that this man has been elected several times, and I expect he will continue to be re-elected, thanks the obdurate, close-minded idiots in his district. There's little more that a closed mind fears than change. May Darwinism save us.

No comments: