Monday, March 2, 2009

I'd like a bonde, blue-eyed baby, please.

I must have been channeling some scientific spirit yesterday when I wrote about DNA mapping being used to make composite images, and then extrapolating with the possibility that it could be used to create personalized toddlers. So, what should I find this morning? A few articles on designer babies. Who wouldn't want to be able to pick out the perfect child to fit into their perfect family, and totally avoid the crap-shoot of genetics? Well, me, for one. I'm also assuming some religions are going to get hot and bothered about this. But more importantly, a fair number of scientists are getting a little peeved at the idea. Who knew that jerking around with a person's DNA before they are even a small jumble of cells in some OC princess' uterine canal would upset some doctors. This practice has already been used for years to halt hereditary diseases in their tracks, surely making some children's lives much happier and enjoyable. But to use this technology just to have a child that is aesthetically pleasing to you is beyond yuppie. It's downright disturbing. If you're only wish is that your child look the way you'd like, I would hesitate to even allow you the privilege of raising offspring. You have some serious sociopathic issues. Get help.

No comments: