Monday, April 13, 2009

Never Interrupt a Nerd Battle

I read this and I just had to do a post on it, since there are so many levels of bizarre to it. Living in Provo, there was always a chance to witness sword-fighting on a weekly basis when it is warm, at a particular park on Thursdays. Geeks of all color and flag would assemble, in arms and often in full battle-regalia, for their weekly Battleguard extravaganza. I assumed this lifestyle (for lack of a better word) was shared around the country, and it appears I may be correct. Normally, the weapons are fake and designed to minimize any possible injury, but experience and common sense leads me to believe that many of the kind of people who participate in things such as this more often than not own particularly realistic weapons, some even make them. This is why I first jumped to the conclusion of 'nerd-fight' when I read this story. Even if that wasn't the case, I beg the question: why did these two men have swords at the ready before an altercation? It's 2009, not 1309. Last time I checked, whenever someone gets hurt with a sword these days, it is usually from an accident, improper handling, or a psychopath. Since there is little information in this story, I assume it is open to wild speculation.

Having been called a dotard-ly coward, Adolf drew his magnificent broadsword. Undaunted, the young Rondeau pulled his saber in a quick flash of steel, glinting in the midday sun. "Prepare for battle, old man," he exclaimed, as the worrisome Franziska stood nearby, looking on. The two men advanced with grim determination written upon their countenances, knowing fully that one or none of them would escape this battle victoriously.

As reality has little to do with what goes on in my head, I must point out that I do not intend to make light of an incident that ended with the death of two individuals, but seriously, who has sword fights? The world is a strange, strange place, and the truth is still often stranger than fiction.

No comments: