Sunday, April 12, 2009

Don't cry for me, I'm already wood pulp.

I am a professed news-junkie. the first thing I do in the morning is get online and browse Drudge, Digg, Consumerist and other various sources of news. If I see a newspaper lying around I flip through it, looking for anything that might catch my interest. I read (real) magazines fairly often, flipping through Time or Pop Sci in the office when I have nothing else to do, always looking for a story that I can become engaged in. I'll watch TV news if nothing else is on, and I'll even watch FOX News if I absolutely have to, just to get the skewed information. But in the current economy, something is happening at a more precipitous rate than ever before.
Each time I see a story of a failing newspaper, I should feel slightly saddened, but I don't. When a daily paper closes its doors for the last time, there is a sense of impending finality coming down the road of history; soon to be gone are the days when people went down to the corner to pick up a paper, but I'm not distressed.
Some might believe that journalism is dying, as papers disappear, but it isn't. It's changing. It has to, or it will end up where the entertainment industry is going, as they cling onto the last shreds of their antiquated ideas until the 24th hour. Just about every major newspaper has gone online, and some have even stopped printing in favor of their websites. Blogging has exploded in recent years, showing that everyone has a story to tell, no matter how mediocre it is. There is a massive thirst for information, and you can satiate it indefinitely on the Internet. I've learned a lot about the world from bits of information flowing through copper wires over the years, and my desire for news has grown exponentially.
Journalism has been evolving for decades, since the idea of 'New Journalism' came around in the apex of the beat generation. There's always another way to tell a story, and now, there's another where. Information is available so much faster online, stories can break even faster than on television, and the information can be accessed by anyone, almost anywhere (at least in countries with free access to information). Even if the newspapers all die off and there's not a New York Times left anywhere to drape over a lone hobo, journalists will always be out there, getting the story, relaying information, speaking to the people. And we'll save a few more trees out of it as well.

No comments: