Sunday, February 15, 2009

Life and Taxes

Upon completing my taxes this year, I was welcomed with a pleasant surprise; I actually have some coming back to me. Last year I about broke even, but this time around I'm getting about $1,400 back. How did I pull this off? I'm single, no dependents and almost no exemptions to speak of, even though I'm in a school of higher learning. First, I didn't make as much as the year before, and I changed my exemptions on my W-4. It was relatively simple to do, and I didn't notice much of a difference in my paycheck. Now, I can get the tattoos I want, pay down a small loan, and pad my checking account for a few months. All in all this turned out fairly well for me, and our brand-new shiny stimulus checks haven't even arrived yet!
I would feel a little better if it wasn't for the fact that I'm just simply getting my own money back that I already earned. (Here's a secret, taxing an individuals wages is technically unconstitutional, look it up, it's true.)

No comments: