Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Why Technology is Awesome

Since I was a kid, I've been fascinated with science and technology, a love that has continued unabated to this day. In fact, it has increased since abandoning the murky logic of religion for the hard, discernible facts of science. Although astronomy and computer technology are my more favorite subjects, like black holes and controlling machines with your mind, almost anything mildly interesting is worth a read for me. This is how I stumbled upon an article on PopSci that relates research done by Austrian scientists that could help create computers that compute data FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT. That's right, you read my all-caps correctly. Using the simple theory of quantum entanglement (something that even unnerved Einstein), you could theoretically run a computer that did calculations nearly instantly, tens of trillions of them! Previously un-calculatable equations would become possible. Processor speed would no longer be an issue for any device. And if we ever figure out how to transmit data in a similar fashion, omg the possibilities! Okay, I'm about to have a geekgasm, so I'll calm down. But, I also found an article on Nokia patenting a self-charging cell-phone. Why would anyone ever hate science? Look at all the cool shit we get out of it. Next time you think about looking down on science or claiming it's 'boring,' look at that cell-phone in your pocket that couldn't have existed five or ten years ago. And that HDTV. And the computer ten-thousand times faster than the first one. Technology is awesome.

1 comment:

monochromewillow said...

I'm totally with you on this one. I am so excited to see what technology will bring us in our lifetimes. People get scared of things like contact lenses that could be used as miniature computer screens, but I say bring it on! I'll be first in line to get one.