Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Why I Hate 'Knowing' About Cars

Almost everyone, I assume, has one of those friends, the guy that 'knows' about cars. The car-guy. Whether they intentionally become the car-guy or not, they become the go-to for various problems. That guy is me. I'm the one who gets the phone-calls that start out, "Soo, my car isn't starting..." or "Do you know anything about(insert car part or problem here)?" I even get these calls from my own father, whom I had always assumed knew more about cars than me. This comes as a mixed blessing. You have the opportunity to help your friends and loved ones, or to never have them trust your opinion again. Until they need something fixed.
Already this month I have fixed a Saturn door problem, installed an alternator in a Chevy, and a fuel pump in a Nissan. One of the three has had no further issues. I have already promised further work on two of these cars and another Chevy with a door problem. Meanwhile, my Camaro sits behind my place of work with its own bad fuel pump, and my Mazda needs a tune-up.
I've done jobs that caused further problems, or unveiled them. I tore out a transmission for a check-up, and ended up having to buy a rebuilt one, and the car wasn't even mine. But I wanted to drive it, and I'm a nice guy. My own projects get pushed back so I can help my friends out. Is it any surprise that sometimes I wish I didn't know anything about cars? I glean a lot of information off of coworkers and associates due to the industry I work in, and I see them dealing with the same problem. Always under someone else's hood.
I have spent more time under some cars than I have inside of them. And that's no big stretch. At least at work I do for more than gratitude or an occasional burrito (food considered the favored payment for favors amongst our circle). Every once in a while, I wish it was someone else working on my car or my friends, but then I'll always wonder if they're doing it right.

No comments: